Saturday, January 25, 2014

Sunday 4 August 2013 - Milan to Ivrea



We were up early, having breakfast at the hotel.  Lyn and Chris picked us up in their Citroen van.  We all fitted well.  I was able to get in the van (sat in the front passenger seat) with help and it was a comfortable ride.  It was a nice drive through the countryside as we headed west to Ivrea, near Turin.  We stayed at the Hotel La Villa which was booked by the wife of one of the rowers.  It was ideal for our situation.  Sharney’s room was next to ours.  She had her own en suite and our room had its own en suite.  There was a disabled bathroom between our bedrooms, so that was exclusively mine and with access from both bedrooms, Sharney was able to easily help when needed.  The toilet was unusual as it had the front of the seat was taken out leaving a significant gap in the middle.   As my adductors are very tight, I found this arrangement very uncomfortable as a leg would fall in to the gap.  I asked the proprietor if I could have a normal seat to cover up the gap and she told me “that is the law in Italy for disabled toilets”.  (We rarely saw this type of toilet for the rest of our Italian holiday).  So I ended up using my “portaloo” over the toilet which worked a little better for me.  The shower seat was against the wall and the rail and shower were also against the wall.  As I sat on the seat I was unable to see behind me.   For showers I needed assistance.



That evening we had dinner at a nearby pizzeria with all the rowers and their wives who were there for the World Masters Games regatta.  This was the main purpose for our trip and we built our holiday around that.  For the week, Sharney will look after me while Terry is at the regatta.














No comments:

Post a Comment